27.1.12

Little mermaid

I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each.
I do not think that they will sing to me.
I have seen them riding seaward on the waves
Combing the white hair of the waves blown back
When the wind blows the water white & black.
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea
By sea-girls wreathed in seaweed red & brown
Till human voices wake us, & we drown.
- Mermaids -- T.S. Elliot


When I was growing up, The Little Mermaid was always my favourite Disney movie.  I had strawberry blonde hair, was a fish in water and I also found the story horribly romantic.  Mermaid inspired fashion is going to be huge for 2012 so I thought I would share with you some inspirational photos as well as some runway looks!


Classic mermaid:
I loved the story by Hans Christian Andersen.  My favourite illustrations were by Charles Santore.  Here are some of them:


Urban mermaid:  A whimsical, Walt-Disney inspired dream come true.  Floor length glittering pieces, aquamarine, turquoise, pearls, sequins, and every shade of blue-- this season brings the ocean to wherever you are.


Chanel Couture


Dior RTW

Elie Saab Couture

Alexander McQueen RTW

Givenchy RTW

Hope you enjoyed the looks!
Runway photos from style.com.
What do you think about the masks at Alexander McQueen?
Mint green is going to be a huge colour this spring.  I bought a bottle of nailpolish in that colour (similar to the Tiffany's box) a few months back and since I'm snowed in today (sigh) I'm going to go paint my nails and dream of spring and being a mermaid!

XO Veronica

4 comments:

  1. the little mermaid was one of my absolute favorite movies growing up too! i love the mermaid inspired fashion trend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love mermaids, such beautiful and dreamy inspiration. These designs are gorgeous!

    x
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOOOOVED the couture collections, chanel was amazing.

    ps. just saw your comment! you're so sweet. good luck with the internship app, i've got my fingers crossed for you! and i dare you to put me in the magazine if you get it. hahaha.

    xx Niki from A Haute Mess

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in love with mermaids as well, always have!.. since the first moment I watched Disney's the little mermaid, an obsession was born... I've been in that costume a million times and friends of mine have called me that since elementary school.. so I guess I get the love you've got for christensen's story as well..
    I've done many illustrations with mermaids, feel free to drop by my blog and take a look at them.. I see you like mermaid illustrations here.. they're always part of my art...
    anyway, did you happen to see Versace's SS2012 collection?..it was all mermaid-ish..loved it.. take care!

    ReplyDelete

follow & comment please, thanks loves!